Twenties soirees will never go out of style! If you’re hosting your own Gatsby- or art deco-themed event, why not create your own feather boutonnières to add a special touch to an already special evening? Because no actual flowers are used, you can create them as far in advance as you’d like, without having to store them in a refrigerator. Read on to see how we did it!
- Feathers (black, white, and a pop of pattern/color!)
- Embellished buttons
- Floral tape
- Hot glue gun
- Spray adhesive
- Old magazines or newspapers (to protect your work surface)
- Trim feathers to size, about three to four inches in length. You may need to peel some of the “leaves,” so that the stems remain exposed.
- Layer feathers; what we did was alternate black and white ones, then add the yellow, spotted one on top.
- Wrap stems of feathers in floral tape. When wrapping, be sure to pull floral tape taut to activate the glue.
- Lay wrapped feathers on top of a magazine (or newspaper), and using your hand to protect the feathers, apply spray adhesive to the stem.
- Add glitter to the stem while the adhesive is still wet.
- Use a hot glue gun to apply a dot of glue to the back of your buttons before pressing them onto the middle of the stems.
- And, REPEAT! Carefully stick a pin into the stem so you won’t forget later. 😉